This is a rare opportunity to join Te Papa's art curatorial team for an 18-month contract while our current curator takes a period of extended leave. It is a busy and exciting time for the Art team with a focus on incorporating new strategy into planning for long term exhibition, acquisition, and research projects. The particular focus during this 18-month contract will be working collaboratively with the curatorial team to develop plans for rehanging the national collection in 2025.
The ideal person for this position will have experience working closely with other curators, artists and specialists in developing and delivering high quality exhibitions of modern and/or contemporary Māori art.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- an excellent understanding of curatorial practices and museum ethics
- well-developed networks of artists, dealers, curators and other museum/art professionals within New Zealand
- demonstrable understanding of working within bicultural frameworks with a focus on commitment to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- the ability to develop creative, innovative approaches to exhibitions, demonstrating scholarship and facilitating Matauranga Māori within an exhibition framework
- excellent written and verbal communication skills, and outstanding research and facilitation skills
- the ability to work independently and also collaboratively as part of a team to achieve shared goals and outcomes
- specific experience working in a curatorial role with an art collection is highly desirable.
The starting salary for this position will be between $79,299 to $87,000 pa with further room for progression through the band. Offers will be made within the range to reflect the skills and experience offered by the candidate and those required of the role, and internal relativities with other employees.
Applications close on Sunday, 19 November 2023.
Applicants must have the ability to obtain and maintain the legal right to work in New Zealand.
Prior to Te Papa confirming any offer of employment, pre-employment checks will be undertaken including criminal conviction history and reference checking as a minimum.
To view a copy of the position description, please enter the following URL into your internet browser: https://expressonline.haineslink.co.nz/pdfs/775469_JobDesc.pdf
To find out more about this role and to apply, please click here.