- Is this the career move you are ready for and looking for?
- Do you have experience developing museum exhibitions & are keen to extend your skills?
- Do you want to work for an iconic organisation at the award-winning Australian Sports Museum?
- Are you looking for a collaborative and supportive team environment with enviable staff benefits?
Widely recognised as the home of Australian sport, the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) has been the scene of many important events, as well as many 'firsts' in Australian sporting history. Located at the MCG, the Australian Sports Museum (ASM) presents award-winning, world-class exhibitions based on significant sporting and social history collections. The numerous galleries feature all aspects of Australian sport across all states and territories and examine their social impact. The museum is a vibrant and exciting mix of information, cultural heritage and interactive entertainment. Positioned next to the ASM is the Melbourne Cricket Club Museum (MCCM) – a deep dive into the 185 year-old club’s own extraordinary history.
An amazing opportunity has become available in our Museum & Heritage Services team for a Museum Curator. Reporting to the Manager, Museum & Heritage Services, this role is responsible for providing curatorial and interpretation services and advice across a broad range of operations undertaken by the Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC), but primarily the ASM and the MCCM
The responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Leading the scheduling, planning and development of exhibitions and interpretation programs in the ASM and MCCM
- Leading the development of interpretation strategies within the ASM and MCCM
- Planning and leading small and medium scale projects, including the supervision of others,
- Contributing to the development of policies and procedures
- Undertaking internal and external stakeholder management.
- Assisting across a range of other museum operations
- Supervising or coordinating media, external providers, contractors, and volunteers, as required.
- Representing the MCC/ASM at industry functions and in the media, and hosting VIP visitors as required.
The ASM & MCCM are public facilities that are open 7 days per week (including public holidays) and there will be a need to work outside of normal business hours as a requirement of this role.
To be successful in this role, you must have the following:
- Tertiary qualification – to postgraduate level – in curatorial, museum studies or related discipline
- Working in a curatorial role within the museum or heritage sector, including demonstrated experience in project management and developing exhibitions, or some years of experience working or volunteering in a comparable role.
- Demonstrated experience in appropriate manual handling procedures for museum or fine art objects, and the ability to mount, prepare and display objects.
- Working with designers or equivalent contractors to plan, develop and install exhibitions.
- Promoting exhibitions/displays through a variety of media channels.
- Leading project teams to achieve targeted outcomes.
- Well-developed organisational and time management skills; the ability to effectively plan concurrent project schedules and budgets, and deliver agreed project goals.
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking.
- A high level of competency when undertaking physical tasks, including an ability to lift heavy objects, to work in confined spaces and at height.
- Strong relationship building and stakeholder management skills.
- High level competency in the use of computer applications, with accurate data entry skills.
- Availability to undertake regular before/after-hours work.
- An understanding of, and appreciation for, the social context of Australian sport.
- Working with Vernon CMS
For a more detailed description of the role please refer to the position description via the link on this page.
What’s in it for you?
- Hybrid role
- Office is at the MCG with free secure car parking under the stadium
- Access to onsite gym facilities
- Access to our Step into Flex employee experience
- Annual Wellbeing day and Volunteer day that are paid
- Swap 2 public holidays per year to observe the cultural or religious days
- Ability to purchase additional annual leave,
- Access to tickets for events if available
- Employee Assistance Program
- Discounted food at the key MCC Outlets on non-event days
- Discount at the MCG Shop
- Free entry for immediate family at the Australian Sports Museum
- Working outside of Standard Hours Policy (paid or time in lieu)
- Paid parental leave – 10 weeks paid leave ( in addition to government funded scheme)
- Suite of learning and development programs for all employees
- Health and Well Being program
- Access to many more benefits
If you are looking at taking the next step in your career, would like to work for an iconic organisation and have the skills, qualifications and experiences outlined above, we would love to hear from you. You can do this by submitting your application including a cover letter, a current CV and completing the online questionnaire by clicking on the “Apply” link on this page.
Applications close on Friday COB 6 October 2023. Please note this ad may be withdrawn prior to the closing date depending upon the volume of applications received.
Our purpose is to move Australia through the transformative power of live sport, entertainment and culture. Our values underpin how we operate and what we stand for as an organisation. This includes respecting the past whilst we shape the future; striving for excellence; lending a hand to others & and playing with pride, passion and purpose.
At the MCC we are committed to ensuring our team is inclusive and representative of the communities we live in. We encourage applications from suitably qualified and diverse candidates.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our staff, contractors, and patrons, as part of the conditions of the offer of employment, successful candidates must have had two doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine or provide evidence of a lawful exemption. The MCC will discuss the exemption & your personal circumstances with you.
This role is subject to relevant pre-employment checks including National & International police checks, right to work in Australia & Victorian Working with Children checks.
Talent Acquisition Lead
03 9657 5507