Thylacine is a multi-award-winning team of creators and makers working within the GLAM sector (galleries, libraries, archives, museums). For over 20 years Thylacine has been creating unique visitor experiences, exhibitions and public artworks that engage audiences with the rich stories of Australia and its peoples.
Thylacine delivers a complete and integrated design and fabrication service to our clients across the cultural heritage sector and has a proud reputation for the successful delivery of world-class visitor experiences from the planning through to their design, fabrication and install.
The successful candidate will be joining Thylacine at an exciting time of growth and will have the opportunity to shape the future of our business. Our work often encompasses projects of national or international significance and is fast paced and varied.
We offer an attractive remuneration package and an opportunity to lead within in a truly unique organisation.
This is an initial 1 year probationary contract with possibility of permanency subject to performance in the role.
We are seeking an experienced, professional and creative workshop manager to lead our small and hardworking exhibition fabrication team.
Our ideal candidate will be experienced in a broad range of production techniques and will provide guidance and support to the fabrication team and business as a whole to ensure quality outcomes for all of our build projects. The workshop manager is supported in the role by the Collection Services Project Manager and Senior Fabricators.
As a senior manager you will work closely with the Creative Director, Business Development Manager, Studio Manager, and Design Manager to provide strategic direction, improve business processes and promote a happy and successful culture within the business.
This is a client facing role has responsibility for maintaining and enhancing our reputation within the industry.
The workshop manager coordinates with other project managers to plan, program and manage resources from across the Thylacine team and ensure that projects are successfully delivered on time, on budget, and to the expected high quality.
Some travel will be necessary at times to supervise installs in locations around the country.
Head of Collection Services Department
- Participates in the management and strategic planning for the business
- Reviews systems and develops efficiencies across the business
- Implements strategies to achieve growth and maintain profitability within the department
- Provides leadership, mentoring and performance management for the workshop team
- Quality control of workshop outputs
- Manages outsourced production services
- OH&S and workshop maintenance
- Control of workshop inventory and subcontractors
- Approve maintenance work, purchasing of equipment etc.
- Recruitment for workshop team
- Site management
Production and Project Management
In coordination with the Studio Manager and project management team:
- Define project objectives and requirements
- Estimate costs and prepare budgets
- Manages external resources and processes
- Organize workflow to meet specifications and deadlines
- Maintain good working relationships with clients and stakeholders
- Manages contracts
- Oversee all incoming and outgoing project documentation
- Monitor production programs and proactively work to resolve issues
- Ensure output meets quality standards
- Enforce health and safety protocols
- Manage diverse teams from across the business (including design) to successfully deliver on project objectives
- Works with Business Development Manager and marketing team to:
- Actively research and generate new fabrication and installation projects
- Develop new business submissions for fabrication projects
- Build new relationships with potential clients and manage existing relationships
Qualifications and Experience
- Five+ years experience in a similar role
- Project management experience including budget control
- Knowledge of production management and fabrication processes
- An eye for detail and a thorough understanding of quality standards and health & safety regulations
- Excellent organizational and leaderships skills
- Experience in cost estimation and quoting for bespoke fabrication projects
- Experience managing specialist fabrication teams
- Proactive, dedicated & responsible
- Creative mindset and a problem solver
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop strong working relationships
- A team player and good collaborator
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- GLAM sector experience
- Relevant Degree or Trade Qualification is preferred
- Experience in metal and or/ timberwork
- Site management experience
- Mount making experience
- CAD design experience within interior architectural context
- Relevant tickets such as forklift operator, elevated work platfoms or rigging and willingness to undertake qualifications/tickets as required
Benefits and Culture
As part of the team, you will enjoy benefits such as:
- Flexible working hours and a family friendly workplace
- Choice in direction of professional development programs
- A positive, collaborative and inclusive team culture
- Inclusion in social and cultural events around work projects
- A great lifestyle work location in regional NSW, just across the border from Canberra Australia’s Bush Capital
- Please Submit your CV including 2 professional references
- A cover letter addressing the competency and experience requirements.
Applications close on 21st February and should be emailed to:
For more information
02 6299 7340