The Collection Officer works closely with the Preparator & Exhibition Designer and reports directly to the Collection Manager. The Portrait Gallery employs two Collection Officers who work mostly as a team to install works of art in the permanent and temporary galleries, to pack works of art for transport and to ensure the safe storage, tracking and processing of works of art.
We are currently seeking a Collection Officer to backfill a temporary transfer through to April 2022 with the possibility of extension. A merit list may be established an used to fill any future vacancies as they arise.
1. As a member of the collection management team undertake handling, installation, packing and unpacking of art objects and ensure that the Gallery’s collection, and
all art objects in the temporary custody of the Gallery (exhibitions, acquisitions and loans) are handled, displayed and stored to current museum standards.
2. Assist with the documentation of works of art, including initial receipting and condition reporting.
3. Assist in the unloading, transportation and delivery of works of art, exhibition equipment and associated materials.
4. Undertake packing and crating for outgoing loans and travelling exhibitions
5. Installation and maintenance of permanent and temporary exhibitions.
6. Work as a member of a multi-disciplinary project team to assist the delivery of the exhibition program and access to the collection ensuring best practice application of Work Health and Safety and participative work management practices.
1. Knowledge and practical experience of safe manual handling, installation and storage of a range of works of art preferably within a gallery or museum environment.
2. Proven ability to work on several projects simultaneously and prioritise activities to specific deadlines.
3. Demonstrated skills in the maintenance of accurate records in manual and computer-based formats. Knowledge and skills in the use of museum collection management software would be an advantage.
4. Evidence of effective skills in written and oral communication and in establishing good working relationships within a team based working environment.
This position requires a high level of manual dexterity and a willingness to lift loads within Work Health and Safety guidelines. Working at heights and WAV (Work Assist Vehicle) operation training will be provided.
In no more than two A4 pages, please tell us how your skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications make you the best person for this job.
Maria Ramsden, Collection Manager 02 6102 7041 or email firstname.lastname@example.org