The Australian War Memorial
The Australian War Memorial combines a shrine, a world-class museum, and an extensive archive. The Memorial's purpose is to commemorate the sacrifice of those Australians who have died in war or on operational service and those who have served our nation in times of conflict. Its mission is leading remembrance and understanding of Australia’s wartime experience.
The Memorial’s Research Centre holds the written records of war, both published and unpublished. The Research Centre manages and provides access to these collections. The Digitised Collections team curates, digitises and publishes Research Centre Online Collections and supports the Memorials public programs, exhibitions and projects.
This position directly supports the Memorial’s major digitisation projects, commitment to collection digitisation, exhibitions, online content and the re-development of the Memorial. Under general direction, this position is responsible for the digitisation of Research Centre collections and the promotion of digitised collections.
The work involves recommending material to be digitised in line with broader Memorial priorities, maintaining and monitoring digitisation workflows including project management, stakeholder liaison, promoting the digitised collection online and in other media and providing advice on copyright, equipment and standards. This position supervises a small team to prepare collections for digitisation, produce preservation quality images, ingestion into the Memorial Digital Asset Management System (DAMS), copyright research and the arrangement, description and cataloguing of Research Centre collection material using the Memorial’s Collection Management System.
- Support the Memorial’s major digitisation programs, exhibitions, online content and re-development
- Recommend material to be digitised in line with broader Memorial priorities
- Manage, maintain and monitor workflows, including the production of regular statistics
- Plan, scope and project manage a variety of digitisation projects
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with stakeholders both internal and external
- Promote the digitised collection online by producing blogs, social media, and other forms of online promotion as well promoting the digitised collection in traditional media such as print and broadcast
- Provide advice on copyright, equipment and digitisation and archival standards
- Supervise and lead a small team to prepare archival collections for digitisation, produce images to archival document preservation standards, ingest images into the Memorial’s Digital Asset Management System, and the cataloguing and online release of Research Centre collection material using the Memorial’s Collection Management System.
- Collaboratively develop and deliver solutions for digitised collection access and online display of digitised collections.
- Work within the legislative framework for managing archival collections including, but not limited to the Australian War Memorial Act, Archives Act, Privacy Act and the Copyright Act.
The Memorial is committed to workplace diversity and maintains an environment that values the contribution of people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. The Memorial welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, veterans, mature age people, people from diverse backgrounds and people with a disability. To be eligible for ongoing or non-ongoing employment, Australian Citizenship is required.
- Applications must be complete and submitted as indicted on the Memorial Website
- Applications should be submitted in WORD ( .doc or .docx) or .PDF. by Midnight (AEST) on 23 July 2020
For further information on the position, please visit: https://www.awm.gov.au/get-involved/work-or-volunteer/employment