The Australian War Memorial
The Australian War Memorial combines a shrine, a world-class museum, and an extensive archive. The Memorial's purpose is to commemorate the sacrifice of those Australians who have died in war. Its mission is to assist Australians to remember, interpret and understand the Australian experience of war and its enduring impact on Australian society.
The Image Digitisation Officer performs high level scanning associated with the digitisation of the Memorial’s Photographs, Film and Sound preservation program. The work involves: the correct operation of professional level equipment, including the maintenance and calibration of this specialist equipment and associated work environment.
This role requires an understanding and the application of the correct methods for handling of photographic objects in Museum collections in the digitisation process. The role is also responsible for the update and entry of technical metadata into the Memorial’s Collection Management and Digital Asset Management systems to maintain workflows and information management.
- Under the general direction of the PFS Manager Digital Preservation/Publication
- Undertake specialist scanning tasks to digitise to the Memorial’s preservation standards the following:
- Various size photographic and print originals; including posters, and maps
- Historical transmissive photographic formats, including Glass plates and negative images.
- Maintain and calibrate scanning equipment to Memorial standards.
- Maintain workflows and interpret preservation and technical metadata requirements within collection business systems (CMS - MICA and DAMS - MediaBin).
- Correct use of professional level equipment.
- Provide professional input for the continuous improvement of the preservation program.
- Liaise and communicate effectively with team members and work to corporate outcomes and business priorities.
- Ensure the collection is handled correctly to minimise any risk of damage to the originals.
- As required perform high-level digital correction and manipulation of digital images associated with the collection
- Abide by and further the principles and practices of Work health and Safety as outlined in the WPS Act, taking reasonable care for personal health and safety and ensuring that acts or omissions do not adversely affect the health and safety of other persons.
For more information on this role and the Selection Criteria, please visit the Australian War Memorial website (link below).
The Memorial is committed to workplace diversity and maintains an environment that values the contribution of people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. The Memorial welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, veterans, mature age people, people from diverse backgrounds and people with a disability. To be eligible for ongoing or non-ongoing employment, Australian Citizenship is required.
For more information or to Apply please visit: https://www.awm.gov.au/get-involved/work-or-volunteer/employment
Applications should be submitted in WORD (.doc or .docx) or .PDF by Midnight (AEST) on 14 June 2020.
If you experience any problems with the application system please contact the Recruitment Team on 02 6243 4234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org