EXHIBITION EXPERIENCE DEVELOPER
Full time, permanent
Te Papa is looking for an innovative Exhibition Experience Developer. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a world-leading, bicultural, cross-disciplinary museum.
You'll play a lead creative role in developing multifaceted, multimedia exhibitions that inspire learning for a non-expert audience, drawing on your keen understanding of audience motivations and needs in the museum context. In this role – one of creative (rather than scholarly) content oversight – you'll be involved from concept to completion and beyond (post-delivery improvement), coordinating with many skilled collaborators, including Curators and other subject experts, Writers, Designers, Digital Producers, Web Editors, and Educators.
The focus is on major projects, including our long-term exhibition-renewal programme: narrative-based experiences that are highly immersive, interactive, and empowering. On these projects, working collaboratively with the Curators, you'll take the lead in:
- identifying target audiences and setting overall audience goals
- pinpointing the big ideas and driving the overall creative approach to content, guiding cross-functional/platform project teams
- assessing and selecting multimedia content-delivery solutions, generated by various expert contributors – solutions that align with the audience, topic/content, and context; are informed by learning theory; and create a balanced experience within budget, time, and resource parameters
- creating key concept documents, pitches, and presentations to share a project's vision.
- an innovative concept developer and creative storyteller, with a theatrical and educational bent
- experienced in a museum setting or similar three-dimensional environment, with a keen understanding of effective audience-engagement strategies in this context
- well versed in telling stories across media – physical/tactile, digital, filmic, and audio (not only object-and-text approaches) – to create a multisensory experience that commands attention and sparks learning
- expert in converting complex ideas into concise, compelling forms that engage and empower diverse, non-expert audiences
- committed to biculturalism and accessibility
- a big-picture thinker and doer, with care for detail without being by confined by it
- collaborative, confident, and positive, with an ability to communicate succinctly and convincingly.
The position sits in the Audience and Insight Directorate and reports to the Head of Experience Design and Content.
You must have the legal right to work in New Zealand.
Applications close Friday 7 February 2020.