The Exhibitions Designer is responsible for the design along with the physical layout and coordination of exhibitions and the collection display for the National Portrait Gallery (Gallery) including the Travelling Exhibitions Program. Reporting to the Exhibitions Manager, the position is part of the Gallery’s Collection Management and Display Section. The incumbent will possess high-level practical exhibition delivery and strong team building skills and will act with a decent degree of autonomy.
1. Undertake exhibition layout and design, exhibition signage production and audio/visual requirements, assist with the project correspondence and liaise and negotiate with external specialists and curators, vendors, contractors, institutions and lenders to ensure cost effective and timely program delivery.
2. Oversee the physical layout, installation and lighting of exhibitions and the set up and maintenance of audio visual installations.
3. Coordinate the storage of exhibition display cases and furniture and purchase and maintain exhibition related tools, equipment and consumables.
4. Develop effective working relationships across all areas of Gallery operations contributing to exhibition program delivery, including the development and adherence to consensual deadlines, work programs and critical paths.
5. Work as a member of a multi-disciplinary project team to assist the delivery of the exhibition program ensuring best practice application of work health and safety and participative work management practices.
1. Supports strategic direction
Able to demonstrate initiation and development of team goals, strategies and work plans, including identifying broader factors, trends and influences that may impact on the team's work objectives. Demonstrated ability identify broader factors, trends and influences that may impact on the team’s work objectives.
2. Achieves results
Able to manage projects on time and within budget. Make effective use of individual and team capabilities and identify opportunities for involvement. Proven ability to work on several projects simultaneously and prioritise activities.
3. Supports productive working relationships
Builds and sustains positive relationships with multi-disciplined staff teams and external and internal stakeholders. Recognises the different working styles of individuals and factors this into the management of people and tasks.
4. Displays personal drive and integrity
Demonstrated experience liaising with stakeholders and building effective relationships with staff across all areas of operation of the Gallery, and experience in promoting programs and demonstrated participation in public program delivery.
5. Communicates with influence
Demonstrated effective written and oral communicating, ensuring accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to represent the Gallery by promoting its interest at community and cross-agency levels and negotiations with a clear understanding of the key issues.
6. Job Specific criterion
• Demonstrated and relevant experience in the design, installation and delivery of exhibitions within the museum environment.
• Considerable experience in the safe and effective handling, packing, transportation, installation and display of works of art and a detailed knowledge of appropriate museum standards as applies to various media, including a good understanding of the roles of conservation, registration, exhibition and graphic design staff.
• Demonstrated knowledge and appreciation of art, history and visual culture.
• Possession of a relevant degree or equivalent experience, preferably in the arts and/or museum management disciplines, from a recognised tertiary institution, would be an advantage.
• Current driver’s licence and ability to travel as required and perform physical duties as required for exhibition installations and de-installations.
Please provide a statement of claims against the required duties of no more than 2 A4 pages. Applications are to be submitted to email@example.com along with current CV and application coversheet which can be found on our website www.portrait.gov.au.
Exhibitions Manager, Christine Clark 02 6102 7066