The Art Gallery of Ballarat provides a focus for visual arts in the Ballarat region. It is the oldest, largest and most engaging regional Gallery in Australia and attracts over 250,000 visitors each year.
The Gallery has recently adopted a new strategic plan which places audiences at the heart of everything we do. We are entering a new phase in our history and need to build the team to achieve our new plan.
We are seeking an experienced, highly motivated, forward thinking and organised person for the role of Assistant Curator.
• Provide high level support for exhibitions and curatorial work
• Coordinate the Backspace Gallery, a community gallery
• Support management and development of the Gallery collection
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
• Coordinate the Backspace Gallery including: artist liaison, contracts, schedules, preparing exhibition materials and installing exhibitions
• Undertake project management in relation to exhibition projects, including developing proposals, project timelines, organising and managing the administration of exhibition Project Team Meetings
• Install artworks for exhibitions and collection displays, including installing and maintaining multimedia/audio visual equipment, display equipment and lighting.
• Provide curatorial assistance including preparation of artists’ letters, contracts and other administrative tasks
• Support curators in the preparation of content related to exhibition including: research, sourcing/captioning images and achieving copyright clearances for publicity and print production purposes; provide assistance on catalogue production including sourcing and preparation of artist biographies
• Undertake collection management tasks including stocktake, photography, loans, Vernon database administration
• Compile condition and packing reports to museum standard, keeping records of movement and conditions of works and liaise with conservators and couriers when necessary
• Compile information for labels and text panels, write content for the What’s On, website and exhibitions where applicable
• Assist with research enquiries, image requests and copyright, acquisition proposals and documentation
• Contribute to, participate in and deliver Public Program and Education activities
• Implement effective evaluation and feedback mechanisms to enable ongoing quality improvement in the delivery of content for projects.
• OH&S and First Aid officer responsibilities.
Please visit the City of Ballarat website to view this position and ensure you follow all steps in your application process.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
For further information on this position please contact Gallery Director, Louise Tegart on 03 5320 5858 or firstname.lastname@example.org