Australia's largest public museum organisation is seeking a curator to work on a touring exhibition, on the subject of Australia's Ice Age Megafauna.
ABOUT MUSEUMS VICTORIA:
Museums Victoria cares for the State scientific and cultural collections, providing visitor access, activities and events at five distinct venues: Melbourne Museum, Immigration Museum, Scienceworks, IMAX Cinema and world heritage listed Royal Exhibition Building.
To learn more about Museum Victoria, please visit http://museumvictoria.com.au/about/
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The primary responsibility of the First Peoples curator will be to provide curatorial support and guidance with community consultation in the development of a touring exhibition on the subject of Megafauna of Australia during the Quaternary period (Ice Age).
This position is accountable for overseeing the inclusion of First Peoples stories and knowledge in the development of the exhibition content and experiences.
This position will also provide advice relating to First Peoples cultural materials from around Australia and will ensure that First Peoples knowledge, expertise and experiences are at the core of the exhibition
The successful applicant will have
1. Extensive knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, cultures and history, especially related to the study of deep time stories, and modern environmental stewardship.
2. Demonstrated research expertise in a relevant discipline such as Indigenous Studies, Cultural Studies, or Museum Studies and demonstrated experience in communicating research outputs such as writing texts for general public consumption, conference papers, research paper, and online.
3. Specialist knowledge in at least one of the following fields is essential: history, anthropology, archaeology, material culture studies, Aboriginal studies or a related discipline.
4. A demonstrated ability to work effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities.
Please see position description (Role Statement) for full the Key Selection Criteria required by the successful applicant. Applications that do not address the Key Selection Criteria will not be considered.
This is a part-time (3 days per week), fixed-term position for five months. The salary on offer is $67,866 per annum; paid pro rata + 9.5% superannuation.
HOW TO APPLY?
To view the position description, please visit our employment website: https://museumsvictoria.com.au/careers/ and select ‘Current Vacancies’
For more information about this position, please contact Monica Zetlin on (03) 8341 7428.
To apply, please follow this link and select ‘APPLY NOW’ below:
Please attach the three following documents with your application:
• Your Cover letter
• Your CV
• Your written responses to the Key Selection Criteria as described in the Role Statement
Applications Close: Friday, 1 March 2019
Monica Zetlin - Direct Line (03) 8341 7428