Tasmania's Museum of Old and New Art (Mona) are on the lookout for a Senior Manager - Technical Operations to provide leadership to the Technical Operations team in our Museum Operations Cluster.
The Technical Operations Team are responsible for the planning, procurement, deployment, operation, technology development, technical support and maintenance of technical artworks, technology systems and equipment to meet both permanent museum operational requirements and program, (exhibition and project) objectives.
This leadership role will manage a team of specialist Technicians in the delivery and maintenance of the museum’s technical art and gallery infrastructure, fabrication, installation and maintenance of exhibition builds and art installation structures and components. The specialist technical teams are Building and Fabrication, Time Based Media, Exhibition Lighting and Technical Support and Maintenance (kinetic art).
- Provide high level leadership and support to the Technical Operations team inspiring a sense of purpose and direction.
- Provide a collaborative strategic approach to the planning and delivery of multiple technically based projects, ensuring timelines, build quality and efficient and safe working practices are maintained.
- Ensure that multiple, concurrent, technically based projects are sufficiently resourced. Make recommendations on additional permanent staff, casual staff, internal secondments, recruitments and external contractor engagements.
- Manage internal departmental resource requirements to meet the administrative and operational needs of the technical team.
- Manage technical project budgets, provide project and departmental estimates for Technical Operations budget forward planning.
- Coordinate project schedules in consultation with all internal Mona stakeholders; Art Management, Site Projects, Front of House, Events and Functions and the Music/Festivals Clusters. Oversee technical maintenance schedules, providing support and direction to Senior technical staff.
- Investigate new project proposals, providing advice on budget, timing, feasibility, technical delivery and resource requirements.
- Provide development opportunities to a diverse range of Technical staff and ensure the team works collaboratively towards achieving shared outcomes.
- Liaise with project managers to ensure the team has the resources required to meet the technical delivery of competing exhibitions, projects and permanent museum operational requirements.
- Manage all procurement processes including contractor engagement in line with Mona’s policies and procedures.
- Manage the preparation of technical and financial reports, liaising with the Technical Operations team and technical providers.
- Manage the Technical Operations material and equipment offsite storage facility, vehicles and equipment.
- Maintain a safe, sustainable work environment and facilitate a culture of innovation and collaboration.
- Contribute to OH&S policy and procedures, and safe work practices as required.
- Oversee preparation of Job Safety Analysis & Work Permits forms for contractors, artists and volunteers working on site.
- Broad knowledge and experience in the delivery of a diverse range of art and exhibition technologies, such as mechanical and electrical engineering, engineering building services, AV, Cinema and lighting.
- Proven ability in team leadership, management and administration.
- Organisational, strategic planning and project management and resource management skills including the ability to prioritise and manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a collaborative approach in fostering strong working relationships across other areas of an organisation.
- Strong IT ability including the use of word, excel and basic CAD and project management programs.
- Current valid driver’s licence.
- Physical fitness.
- First Aid certificate, or willing to obtain.
Does this sound like you? Then we’d love to get to know you. Please submit your application (specifically addressing why you're a great fit for this role) at https://mona.net.au/connect/employment.
Applications close Monday the 25th of February at 9.00am.