The Museums & Galleries National Awards (MAGNA) and the Museums Australasia Multimedia & Publication Design Awards (MAPDA) are evolving… the national awards will be known as The AMaGAs.
In late 2021 a working group was formed to undertake a review of the MAPDA and MAGNAs. community members from a range of backgrounds and experiences gathered to review the AMaGA awards program with the aim of streamlining and updating them.
Working group members: Jilda Andrews, Stephanie Hamilton, Andrew Hiskens, Lynda Kelly, Craig Middleton, Michael Parry, Lauren Smith and Keir Winesmith.
There are a number of recommendations that have been made and they will be slowly implemented over a period of 2 Award cycles.
For the 2023 Awards, the Awards will be amalgamated mostly in name only. The Awards will be known as ‘The AMaGA’s’ but the categories for the most part will remain the same – there have been some small changes to the Award categories. However, the criteria for entry and judging will now be the same for both categories.
Entries open Monday 6 March
Entries close Tuesday 11 April
Awards are open to all, with a discount on entry fees for members.
Awards will be presented at the opening reception at the AMaGA National Conference, Newcastle May 16-19, 2023.
The Awards portal is separate from the AMaGA website. You need to create a new account to enter the Awards or use the log in created for previous years' awards. You can also log in as a guest.
MAPDA - Digital
- App - an app available to download
- Digital learning experience - any educational experience or program for delivery over the internet or on mobile device(s)
- Multimedia - film, video, audio and interactive(s) for delivery over the internet or on mobile device(s)
- Institutional website - website designed for general institution promotion
- Program website - website designed for a specific exhibition or program
- Virtual tour / online exhibition -tour or exhibition for delivery over the internet or on mobile device(s)
HYBRID - Both printed and digital
- Branding package (physical/digital/promotional) - including street banners, citilights, hoardings, ads, interior exhibition graphics, invitations, posters, merchandise etc.
- Identity - corporate branding, annual reports
MAPDA - Print
- Book - any print, non-periodical publication other than an exhibition catalogue
- Children’s book - any print book designed for children
- Exhibition catalogue (major) - 64 or more pages, any substantial, non-periodical publication designed to accompany a specific exhibit
- Exhibition catalogue (small) - under 64 pages, any non-periodical publication designed to accompany a specific exhibit
- Magazine - any print or electronic publication issued at regular intervals, eg. primarily informational in content
- Indigenous project - a project or program developed specifically for Indigenous communities or by Indigenous people. May include gallery or exhibition development or interpretive programming and learning projects
- Interpretation, learning & audience engagement - education projects developed by the institution to interpret and communicate the collection and stories
- Community engagement and outreach - community development and outreach projects developed by the institution to interpret and communicate the collection and stories
- Permanent exhibition or gallery fit out - a physical or virtual interpreted presentation of materials owned or borrowed by the institution
- Temporary/Traveling exhibition – a temporary physical or virtual interpreted presentation of materials owned or borrowed by the institution
- Sustainability project - can include back-of-house sustainability projects as well as audience content and engagement
- Best in show
- People's choice - to be decided at the National Conference, May 16-19