AMaGA congratulates the successful applicants for the Australia Council’s 4-year funded organisations
AMaGA congratulates the successful applicants for the Australia Council’s 4-year funded organisations, which were announced today. The 95 organisations will deliver wonderful creative programs and industry services. However, with no increased funding allocations to the Australia Council for this purpose, many organisations have missed out or were not invited to apply and we mourn the unrealised potential and the loss of Australian art, creativity and cultural connection that we will never see.
At this time of coronavirus-induced crisis and continued funding shortfalls for the arts, we need to support each other and urge the Commonwealth Minister for the Arts to:
- Urgently provide additional funding to the Australia Council to support worthy organisations that are under extreme pressure,
- Establish new funding programs for the vast number of museum and gallery projects that currently have no access to support/investment programs,
- Advocate to expand the eligibility for the new Job Keeper financial support to publicly funded organisations, such as local government museums and galleries which are now shedding valuable workers,
- Act upon the advice received from the peak bodies in the Australian arts sector outlining the industry-specific stimulus measures that are desperately needed to prevent further and sustained damage to Australian culture, and
- Forcefully inform other government ministers of the significant benefits of the arts, history, heritage and cultural activity to our nation’s health, education, economy, and community wellbeing.