ALIA Workforce Diversity Trend Report 2019
The Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) has released the Workforce Diversity Trend Report 2019. The report details the current status of diversity across the galleries, libraries, archives, museums and records (GLAMR) workforce.
The report has been created using data collected from the 2006, 2011, and 2016 Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Census datasets and made available to ALIA through the ABS Census TableBuilder.
The report has identified five issues for the library and information sector to rectify in order to have a representational workforce.
- Encourage people to consider library and information as both a first and second career.
- Find ways to significantly increase the number of male library and information workers.
- Aim to double the number of Indigenous workers.
- Continue to open up career opportunities for people living with disability.
- Seek to recruit people born in Asia and/or from languages other than English households with Asian first languages.
The report was made after consultation with ALIA Members.