The 2019 Museums Galleries Australia National Conference will be held in Alice Springs from 13-17 May. Members and colleagues are invited to apply for bursaries to assist in their travel and/or registration to attend.
General Information and Conditions
Please read all of these before applying for a bursary below.
It is important to note that bursary applications generally amount to over double the funds available. It is unlikely that applicants will be fully funded, and those applicants who make an effort to self-fund part of their conference costs are given some priority.
- Members can apply for funding assistance from Museums Galleries Australia's State/Territory Branches and National Networks. You MUST be a member to apply for this funding. Members will be considered for funding from ALL appropriate available sources (i.e. if you are a member from NSW with a subscription to the Education network, we will automatically place you in the pool for funding from both the branch and the network, and also the federal funding (see below).
- In addition, the new Inclusion Fund will fund volunteers in regional and community museums and galleries. Read more about the Inclusion Fund and how you can contribute
Open to all
- Federal funding through the Department of Communications and the Arts is available for people living and working/volunteering in regional and remote areas, and Indigenous people. Priority will be given to Indigenous Australians, and volunteers from regional and remote locations, and then to those voluntering in small, community museums. Speakers who are presenting on topics targeted at community museums and Indigenous issues will also be considered for funding. You do not need to be a member.
- The Northern Territory Government is generously supplying funds for bursaries which will be available for members and non-members.
- The Cartwright Douglas Fund is also offering two additional bursaries for attendance at the National Conference. Applications are invited from across Australia and are open to all museum and gallery workers and volunteers. You don't have to be a member of Museums Galleries Australia to apply.
How bursaries work
- Bursaries are paid as a reimbursement. Your nominated bank account will be credited with the bursary funds before the conference.
- You must register for the conference before applying for a bursary and select the pay later/invoice option. We check the registration status of each applicant when allocating funds.
- Per diem expenses and social event registrations are not eligible for inclusion in your application.
- Accommodation costs are capped depending on the location of the conference.
- Different funding sources have different criteria. The only funding source that is available for non-members is the federal funding which is dedicated to Regional, Remote or Indigenous delegates. All other funding sources require the applicant to be a member of Museums Galleries Australia. Join now.
- Bursary recipients must provide a written report on their conference experience.
- All applicants (whether successful or not) will be registered at the early bird rate
How to apply
Fill in the below form and submit it before the closing date. Please do not send in more than one form (i.e. email and post).
Applications close Wednesday 20 February 2019.
Successful applicants will be paid in March OR when fund become available from the government.