2019 RENEWALS ARE OPEN
ICOM membership is open to museums and galleries, their staff and volunteers, museum sector providers, museum retirees and post-graduate students undertaking museum related study
- Museum - for the purposes of membership, a museum is defined as a non-profit, permanent institution in the service of society and its development, open to the public, which acquires, conserves, researches, communicates and exhibits the tangible and intangible heritage of humanity and its environment for the purposes of education, study and enjoyment.
- Museum professionals - for the purposes of membership museum professionals include all staff of the museums and institutions qualifying as museums in accordance with the definition above and persons who, in a professional capacity, have as their main activity to provide services, knowledge and expertise for museums and the museum community.
Membership is open to museums, institutions recognised by ICOM and museum professionals.
All candidates eligible for membership must agree to accept and adhere to the ICOM Code of Ethics for Museums. This is done through the membership application process.
Your membership may be denied. Any payments will be refunded immediately upon explanation of your ineligibility.
ICOM membership is not available to any person or institution (including its employees) that trades (i.e. buys or sells for profit) cultural property - including works of art and natural and scientific specimens - taking national laws and international conventions into consideration. Likewise, persons or institutions engaged in an activity that conflicts with ICOM´s ethical standards are not eligible for membership.
- Individual members - museum professionals, still working or retired
- Institutional members - museums or other institutions that comply with the above definition of a museum
- Student members - persons enrolled in museum-related post-graduate academic programs
- Honarary members - persons who have rendered exceptional services to the international museum community or to ICOM. All former elected ICOM Presidents are deemed honorary members
- Supporting members - persons or institutions providing substantial assistance to ICOM both financially and otherwise, due to an interest in museums and the international co-operation between museums
Queries: Contact ICOM Australia
Apply or renew
Please keep in mind that:
- ICOM Australia will request evidence from you that you meet the appropriate eligibility requirements
- the issuing of new or replacement membership cards from Paris takes at least 4-6 weeks
- annual renewal stickers from Paris don't usually arrive in Australia until early December each year
- membership is for a calendar year commencing 1 January. Pro rata fees are not available.
RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP
- Login and access your Portal.
- Click the green Renew button on your ICOM membership plan in your Portal.
- Complete the payment.
- If the plan is incorrect, contact the Secretariat on 02 6230 0346 and we will update your plan.
- You will receive an emailed invoice then a notification that your payment has been received.
- You will then receive a copy of your receipt in the mail with your 2018 sticker.
APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP
New members need to apply OFFLINE. Forms are available on ICOM Australia website from 27 November.
Discount for Museums Galleries Australia members
Museums Galleries Australia individual members are eligible for a 5% discount on ICOM Australia individual membership. You can select the appropriate discount category below.
- Museums Galleries Australia acts as an agent for ICOM Australia and the invoice reflects this partnership
- ICOM Australia is not registered for GST; the amounts below do not include GST.
Queries: Contact ICOM Australia